Yes. We sell purees. And believe it or not, we support Baby Led Weaning and whatever works for YOU and YOUR BABY. 😉 Exposure to a variety of foods and textures is what’s important. Here’s our take on how our purees fit into a “baby-led” lifestyle.
We love our purees — handmade in small batches from organic whole foods that are gently steamed, roasted, and blended to perfection with healthy fats and fresh herbs & spices to encourage the development of an adventurous eater.
We also offer a variety of textures from smooth to thick to chunky so baby can learn to eat from a spoon and get ready for table foods.
But we are NOT here to say “purees are the only way.” Who needs that?!
We believe that parents should do what works for them. Not all babies will successfully take to finger foods or self-feeding when they are ready for solids (4-6 mos). And not all babies will love every type of puree (gasp!).
You don’t have to pick Baby Led OR Purees — there can be a perfect world where BOTH exist — to provide proper nutrition & a variety of foods, the opportunity to learn to eat from a spoon, and to explore finger foods.
WHAT’S MOST IMPORTANT:
- Introduce baby to a variety of real foods and textures at 4-6 months.
- Help baby learn to eat from a spoon. An occasional pouch is fine (we get it; they’re super-convenient), but it’s important to help your baby learn to physically eat from a spoon — pushing food to the back of their mouth & swallowing.
- Provide them with the proper nutrition to thrive and grow. Remember that baby is going to need Iron at about 6 months when their body’s reserves have depleted. It’s especially important for breastfed babies to get iron from real food (meat/poultry, beans/lentils, peas, sweet potatoes, etc), fortified cereals, or vitamin supplements.
- Offer balanced meals from all the food groups.
- Every “Square Meal” is balanced with veggies, fruit, whole or sprouted grain, and protein (yogurt, beans, lentils, salmon, eggs, or chicken bone broth)!
- Introduce herbs, spices, and more adventurous foods & flavors to broaden their palate and set them up for a lifetime of healthy eating.
- Most Square Meals include a hint of fresh herbs & spices to encourage your baby to learn to eat like you do! Apple Curry Chicken (with coconut curry), Avocado Greens (with garlic), Harvest Feast (with cinnamon & cardamom), Spinach Dahl (with several Indian spices), and many more.
- Remember that allergen introduction at 4-6 months is recommended to help prevent food allergies. Offering your baby wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts EARLY & OFTEN can actually help their immune system build up a tolerance and acceptance of these Top 8 Allergens.
- Talk to your pediatrician about what’s best for you and your baby.
WE ARE HERE FOR YOU “WEANERS” AS WELL. 😉 Feel confident that no matter how many blueberries and peas get tossed at your face, our Square Meals alone will provide a complete, balanced meal and 100% daily nutrition. We also provide a variety of textures so baby can learn to chew & swallow as they progress through the Square Meal System.
OUR “SQUARE MEAL SYSTEM” LEAVES ROOM FOR FINGER FOODS & MORE.
- Our Square Meals deliver “100% Daily Nutrition. So, any 2 meals/day for 6-8 mos and any 3 meals/day for 8-12 mos babies = 100% of their daily recommended servings of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and protein.
- We purposefully designed the meals to meet at least the minimum recommended servings of each food group for your baby (the USDA provides recos in ranges).
- This way, we’re leaving room for additional foods to be added to the diet as we know many parents like to include fortified infant cereals into their purees & offer other table foods as they practice with finger foods.
Check out our 100% Daily Nutrition “Square Meal System” and how you can customize it for your baby at SquareBaby.com
This blog post is for information purposes only and shouldn’t be used as personal, health, nutritional, or medical advice. Always consult with your pediatrician before making any decisions about your child’s health or readiness for various foods.