10 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
Written by Katie Thomson MS, RDN — cofounder of Square Baby
We are all looking for ways to boost our immune system — whether it’s for general health, to help protect yourself against the typical cold and flu season, or during an incredibly stressful and uncertain public health crisis.
First off — there is no magic pill.
No one-stop-shop for a strong immune system. Remember that the immune system is not one specific organ — it is indeed a “system” — one of which researchers are still learning about it’s intricacies and interconnectivity with other health factors and systems in the body.
That said, a healthy body fueled with good nutrition and supported by healthy lifestyle choices can only be helpful in boosting your immune system. Because, in general, our bodies function best when supported by a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some simple ways you can boost your immune system…starting right now.
1. Maintain a healthy weight. BMI of 18.5-25 is ideal. Check your BMI here.
2. At least 5 (a goal of 9) servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Info on servings here. Another goal is to make half your plate fruits and veggies at each meal.
3. Do not smoke. And minimize second-hand smoke for you and your family.
4. If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. Up to 1 drink/day for women and up to 2 drinks/day for men.
5. Minimize stress. Get outside for a walk, call a friend, finally take up yoga and meditation.
6. Exercise regularly. It’s great for overall health, stress reduction, and circulation.
7. Get adequate sleep. 8 hours is great!
8. Practice good food safety and hygiene to avoid infection. Wash your hands frequently, cook meats thoroughly, and sanitize high-touch surfaces regularly.
9. Stay hydrated. A body functions at it’s best when adequately hydrated.
10. Eat more of these delicious foods! They are rich in nutrients that support our immune system.
Bone Broth: Anti-Inflammatory and Gut Healing Properties
- Found in Square Baby’s Mango Coconut Chicken, Harvest Feast, Apple Curry Chicken
Citrus, Bell Peppers, Strawberries, Broccoli for Vitamin C
- Found in Square Baby’s Beet Berry, Minty Green, Veggie Scramble, Spinach Dahl
Eggs, Cheese, Tofu, Salmon, Mushrooms for Vitamin D
- Found in Square Baby’s Veggie Scramble, Salmon Mash
Beans, Nuts, Seafood, Cereal for Zinc
- Found in Square Baby’s Peanut Pumpkin Pie, Almond Butter & Banana, Salmon Mash, Coconut Shrimp Fried Rice, Apple Rosemary Lentils, Minty Green, Avocado Greens, Spinach Dahl
Carrots, Apricots, Kale for Beta Carotene
- Found in Square Baby’s Peachy Oatmeal, Lil Carrot, Coconut Shrimp Fried Rice, Mango Coconut Chicken
Meat, Fish, Milk, Yogurt, Eggs, Nuts, Legumes for Protein
- Found in Square Baby’s — one or more of these is in EVERY single Square Meal. 😉
Bananas, Beans, Garlic, Leeks, Onion, Asparagus for Prebiotics
- Found in Square Baby’s Greenie Baby, Almond Butter & Banana, Avocado Greens, Peanut Pumpkin Pie
Yogurt, Kefir, Kombucha, Sauerkraut, Miso and other fermented foods for Probiotics
- Found in Square Baby’s Peachy Oatmeal, Beet Berry, Mango Rice Pudding, Greenie Baby, Baby Blues
Check out Square Baby’s menu — full of nutrient-dense, organic ingredients that can help support a healthy immune system.
For more tips on Boosting Immunity for Parents & Babies:
- Harvard Health “How To Boost Your Immune System”
- Parents.com “Boost Child’s Immunity
- Nutrition News “Six Ways to Boost Your Child’s Immune System”