FREE SHIPPING on all orders!
Tips for Making, Storing, and Thawing Baby Food At Home
How long can you freeze homemade baby food?
- You can store baby food in the freezer for up to six months.
- I recommend storing in an airtight container with minimal air or headspace.
- For optimal taste, quality and nutrient retention, consume frozen baby food within 1-3 months.
How should you defrost/heat homemade baby food?
- The best way to thaw baby food is to put tomorrow’s food in the fridge and let it thaw overnight.
- You can also use the microwave on the “defrost setting” if your baby food is in a microwave-safe dish.
- Remember, food that has been thawed should never be frozen again.
- Once thawed, keep refrigerated and consume within 2 days.
What's the best way to prep homemade baby food?
Food safety is of utmost importance. Before getting started:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Scrub all working surfaces & equipment with antibacterial soap and hot water
Food Preparation Tips:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables should be scrubbed, peeled (as appropriate), and removed of any seeds that could pose a choking hazard.
- Meats and Proteins: remove bones, skin, connective tissue, and gristle.
- If boiling, use a small, covered saucepan with a small amount of water until tender. The less water used, the more nutrients retained in the food.
- Puree food using a blender, food processor, baby food grinder, spoon or fork.
- Add a liquid such as breastmilk, infant formula, bone broth, yogurt, or water to achieve a desired consistency.
How should you store homemade baby food?
There are a couple options for freezing baby food:
- ICE CUBE TRAYS: scoop pureed baby food into clean ice cube trays, cover them with plastic, and stack them in the freezer. Ice cube trays are ideal for creating individual, 1-ounce servings so less food goes to waste. And you can mix & match 1-oz cubes for variety.
- Put frozen cubes in freezer bags. This frees up the trays to make your next batch. As long as the cubes remain thoroughly frozen, they won’t stick together in the bag.
- 2-4 OZ CONTAINERS: There are several options in stores or online. Look for containers with a resealable lid. Microwave, dishwasher, and freezer-safe is most preferred.
Once thawed, how long does homemade baby food last?
- Once thawed, keep refrigerated and consume within 2 days.
- Always throw away any leftovers in which the baby’s spoon has dipped. Bacteria is introduced when you put a licked spoon back into a container.
- If your baby is not going to eat a full container, portion out what you think he or she will eat into a separate container and then serve. The extra thawed food can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two days from the date it was thawed.
Square Baby's Story & Mission
100% Daily Nutrition. 0% Effort in the Kitchen.
I’m Katie Thomson -- a mom of 2 boys and a Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Nutrition. I’ve spent 15 years in the food industry leading health and wellness initiatives and consulting for brands like Starbucks, Red Robin, and Naturebox.
My badass cofounder, Kendall Glynn, is a mom of 3 and Certified Genetic Counselor with a Masters in Biophysics and Molecular Genetics. She spent her career in perinatal services and family planning. She was part of the leadership team at CPMC in San Francisco, launched San Francisco Perinatal Associates (SFPA), the first private, full-service perinatal center in SF. Since leaving SFPA, she has been actively involved in philanthropy for both Children’s Hospital Oakland and George Mark Children’s House raising millions for these two worthy causes.
We created Square Baby® to solve for every pain point we had when feeding our kiddos. We were disappointed with the options on the market — often unbalanced, misleadingly marketed, and a sea of uninspiring, shelf-stable, muted flavors.
We didn't want the next generation of babies growing up on so. much. applesauce. PSA: did you know many baby food pouches have the same grams of sugar as a bowl of LUCKY CHARMS? Mind. Blown.
Babies deserve better.
Our handmade meals are made with whole, organic foods — gently cooked, pureed in small batches, quickly frozen, and delivered right to your doorstep. Just like homemade, but better!
With my Dietitian hat on, I created the Square Meal System™ — where every Square Meal is perfectly BALANCED with organic veggies, fruits, whole or sprouted grains, and various protein sources. We even add healthy fats, herbs and spices for optimal nutrition and palate development. Balance is in the numbers! Our meals have HALF THE SUGAR as most pouches!
Our foolproof, interchangeable system means that ANY 2-3 Square Meals per day offers 100% Daily Nutrition! Our meal plans are customizable -- vegan? dairy-free? vegetarian? meat-eaters? looking for extra iron or omega-3's?
We got you!
And most importantly, we are the ONLY fresh baby food company offering an allergen introduction menu for several of the top allergens including milk, egg, wheat, soy, sesame, fish, tree nuts, and peanuts!
As a science-based company, we are following the research and offering options like Peanut Pumpkin Pie, Coconut Shrimp Fried Rice, Almond Butter & Banana, and Salmon Mash. Because research has shown that introducing babies to allergenic foods early and often may help prevent food allergies from developing by up to 80%!
Follow us on Instagram @squarebabyfood or reach out with any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org -- we're so happy to help!
Whether you prefer to make your own baby food, or need a little help -- we're here to support and cheer you on.
xo, Katie & Kendall
This blog post is for information purposes only and shouldn’t be used as personal, health, nutritional, or medical advice. Always consult with your pediatrician before making any decisions about your child's health or readiness for various foods.
Miss a Beat
Drop your email for exclusive content & access to special deals