How To Start My Baby On Solid Foods: Part 1
HOW TO KNOW IF MY BABY IS READY TO START PUREES
Your lil' babe is growing and starting to check out your guacamole -- is he ready to start solids and get into purees?
Be sure to talk to your pediatrician about your baby's readiness for solids as baby's develop at a different rate, but there are a few signs to look out for.
5 HELPFUL SIGNS TO INDICATE HE MIGHT BE READY:
- Baby has doubled their birth weight (13 lbs or more).
- Baby can sit in a chair or feeding seat with little or no support.
- Baby can hold their head up with good control.
- Baby can move food from the spoon to the back of their mouth. If they're spitting it out, it might be because they're not physically ready to swallow.
- Baby is showing interest in foods by opening their mouth and leaning forward toward the spoon. Or giving you the side-eye when you're eating your overnight oats. ;)
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
Keep in mind that every baby is different. Some babies gobble up their first bites of food making this a really fun first-time experience for parents while other babies will spit out their first several introductions, which can be quite frustrating.
The Academy of Pediatrics states that it can take 10-15 tries for a baby to learn to like a food. Whether it's taste, texture, aroma, temperature, or just that fact that it's TUESDAY that is throwing baby off, they will very often overcome their 'dislike' for the food and learn to enjoy it after several tries. Stay patient.
We know this can be challenging as you're so excited to introduce solids and help your baby become an adventurous eater that enjoys their veggies! It'll happen. Promise. Keep trying.
WE GOT YOU.
Hungry for more? ;) Continue to "How to Start My Baby on Solids: Part 2" HERE.
~Katie and Kendall, cofounders
This blog post is for information purposes only and shouldn’t be used as personal, health, nutritional, or medical advice. Always consult with your pediatrician before making any decisions about your child's health or readiness for various foods.
Miss a Beat
Drop your email for exclusive content & access to special deals